What is a Turkish towel or peshtemal and why are they great?
The Turkish towel or peshtemal, also known as the hammam towel, is a flat weave towel, traditionally made in Turkiye, some say dating back to the 7th century. So what is all the fuss about Turkish towels?
- Are they absorbent? Yes!
- Do they dry quickly? Yes!
- Are they lightweight? Yes!
- Are they soft? Yes!
They are made from long cotton fibres (and yes they are OEKO TEX certified) and what this means is that the peshtemal;
- feels smoother and will soften with each wash
- is the original sand-free towel
- has high absorbency
- are usually larger than other towels
- will dry quickly
- is thin so is great for travel and because it looks great it can be used as a scarf, wrap (versatile)
- typically lasts for years and is less likely to pill, pucker or shrink
- meets all quality standards
- requires less water when weaving (so more eco-friendly)
- can be a cotton and bamboo or cotton and linen blend.
Not all Turkish towels are flat weave. Some are thicker and have the terry towel weave that we are used to. These towels are super soft and luxurious and as you would expect are heavier and plush. They are still made with high quality cotton and get softer with each wash.
At Pippah, our towels are made by family businesses in Turkiye who are proud to bring their beautiful Turkish towels to Australia. They supply a wide range of traditional and contemporary styles and colours. Their weaving process requires less water, is kinder on the environment and makes beautiful towels in a wide array of colours.
Wrap yourself up in one, we promise you won't look back.